Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tech Tuesdays - Lastolite TriFlip Bottletop Covers

If you remember reading my post about the Lastolite Tri-Grip, you'll know that I love it. I almost always have it with me. It's awesome for diffusing direct sunlight, providing a large, diffused light source that bathes your subject in a pool of glowing light.

So, what happens when you need a little reflected light instead of diffused light? You buy a reflector. When you go shopping for a reflector, you'll have to decide if you want white, silver, gold, white/silver, gold/silver or black (not really a reflector of light, but still a reflector). That's a lot of options and their cost adds up quickly. What if I told you you could grab them all for the cost of one? Then what if I told you that you you could pick up a set of covers that slips over your beloved Latolite Tri-Grip so you could use it as a reflector? Interested? I bet you are!

Lastolite makes a product called the TriFlip Bottletop Covers. It's a set of two reversible sleeves that fit a TriGrip perfectly. They include all 6 colors I mentioned above (two colors are included twice since there are 8 sides). It's such a simple idea it's kind of ridiculous. Just slightly collapse your Tri-Grip, slide it inside the cover, pop it open and you've got a double-sided reflector instead of a diffuser!

If you're considering purchasing a set of these, let me clear something up. If you look at any description of the TriFlip Bottletop Covers, it says that they fit "regular size (original 33" version) Tri Grips". If you look at the descriptions for Tri-Grip diffusers, you'll see that some say 33" and some say 32", but if you look at the tag that came with your Tri-Grip, it will say 30". Don't worry. For whatever reason, they all seem to be the same thing and the Bottletop Covers will fit. I'm not sure why there is so much inconsistency with the sizing, but they all appear to be the same size in reality.

So the big question is, "How do they work?". One word: Awesome. These things are so amazing! They're very easy to use. They slip on in about 10 seconds. They're very secure and tight. You get all of the benefits of using the Tri-Grip. You have 6 different reflectors at your fingertips (not to mention the diffuser). The best part? The hardly take up any space at all! If you were to carry around 6 different reflectors (especially Tri-Grips), it would take up a lot of room and weight quite a bit! With these, I can actually zip the diffuser and the covers inside the laptop compartment on my backpack and not even notice they are there!

If you've got a Lastolite Tri-Grip diffuser, there is no reason not to pick up a set of the TriFlip Bottletop Covers. They add so much versatility to an already useful tool, it's almost unfair. Now my only problem is that I want to buy another Tri-Grip so I can use both covers at the same time!