Friday, September 10, 2010

We Have Power

As a professional photographer, it's easy to get caught up in the business side of things. I don't think that I've ever gone to a photo shoot and didn't have fun, but there have been times when I shoot, process the photos and move on, not thinking about why the family or individual wanted the photos in the first place. Hopefully the prints that they order bring a smile to their face every time they look at them, but I've been pretty bad at following up to see if that's the case.

I realized all of this last night while attending an ASMP workshop at Souders Studios. Rick Souders was talking about surviving in a bad economy and he believes one of the most important things any business can do is to create and nurture client relationships. After hearing his reasoning, I couldn't agree more. So, if you're a client, expect to hear from me soon. I'd love to know how you like your prints!

Another recent experience really brought home how much of an impact photography can have. A few weeks ago I partnered with Children's Outreach Project (COP) to create an image for the Good Spark Get Up And Give Digital Media Challenge. The goal was to create an image that would tell a story and encourage people to want to learn more about an organization and be inspired to give. So, on a Thursday morning a few weeks ago I went down to COP, took some photos, submitted two to the contest and moved on.

This Wednesday I received a phone call informing me that my photo had been selected as a finalist and that we'd need a representative to attend an event on Thursday evening in the event that the image won a prize. I talked with my contact at COP, Rebecca, and let her know that I was already scheduled for the training event at Souders Studios in Golden on Thursday night. She said she could attend the event.

After the training, as I was driving home from Golden, I got a text message. I didn't check it until I got home, but when I did, it said "Hope you can see this" and had a picture of a hand holding a piece of paper. When I looked a little closer, I saw that it was a picture of a check. The photo had won First Prize and in doing so won Children's Outreach Project $750! The winning photo is at the top of this post.

Rebecca and I had discussed what we'd do if we won a prize. She wants me to decide what how to use the money at the school. In the past, I might have moved from one project to the next without realizing how my photos affected my clients, but not this time. I know that the school can use this money and I am going to have a say in how it's used. When I took that photo, I was a photographer doing a job. Now I get to be a person making a difference.

We, as individuals, as artists, as professionals and as citizens, all have power. It doesn't matter if you take photos or not, you have something that non profit organizations need, even if that something is just your time. Find an organization that you care about and volunteer.

Earlier this year I did a photo fundraiser with COP and was able to raise around $300 for them. That means, combined with this recent prize, John Bosley Photography has raised over $1000 for Children's Outreach Project this year. Do you think I'm done volunteering with them? No way! They need more than a little money. Something that Rick Souders said last night really seems fitting here: You can always make more money, but you can't make more time. Please, go give a little of your time to an organization you care about. You won't regret it.