Thursday, September 30, 2010

My First Cover - Photo From An Event At The Smithsonian

In May of this year I was honored to be part of an event called Pens and the Post that was held at the Smithsonian Postal Museum. I attended as an exhibitor. For those of you who don't know, I collect fountain pens and fountain pen inks. Much to my wife's dismay, I have amassed a huge collection of vintage fountain pen ink bottles from the 1920s-1960s. Most of them still have usable ink in them. I even wrote a book about ink called Vintage Inks.

Since I've become known as "The Ink Guy" in fountain pen circles (yes, you should be very jealous), I was asked to host an ink table at this Smithsonian event. At my table I discussed the history of ink, had displays of vintage ink bottles and even had different samples of vintage ink that people could write with. The program was a huge success and was lots of fun to attend, both as an exhibitor and as an attendee.

Of course, I couldn't just go to an event like this and not take any photos. The day of the event was a little too busy for me to get any good photos, but the night before the event I was in event photographer mode. No longer was I "John the Ink Guy". Instead, I was "John the Photographer"! By the end of the evening I felt like I had snapped some good photos that could be used to promote next years event. With that done, I put my camera in the bag, geeked out about fountain pens and really enjoyed the experience.

A few weeks after the event I was contacted by the editor of The Pennant, a magazine published by The Pen Collectors Of America (PCA). He had seen some of my photos and wanted to use a few in their upcoming issue. I said sure, sent him the images I had shot and went on with business as usual.

Just about a week ago he contacted me and said that he sent a few copies of the magazine to me. I figured they'd show up while I was out of town, which they did, so when I got home yesterday and saw a package sitting in my mail, I knew it was them (the fancy writing on the address label also helped me figure out who it was from). When I opened the package and took a look at the magazine, I couldn't believe it. He had used one of my photos on the cover! I was expecting a few photos in the middle of the magazine (which were there), but I wasn't expecting a cover! Sweet.

To see the original image that was used for the cover, click here.