Friday, September 24, 2010

The Friday Fix - 9/24/10


I've been in Atlanta for most of the week and for some reason I haven't been listening to much music. I've spent a lot of time just sitting (on the bus, the airplane, at the airport, on the MARTA and at the hotel), but didn't actually listen to any music until this morning. Actually, that's not entirely true. I went over to the mall yesterday to sit and do a bunch of writing and planning and the muzak almost drove me crazy! Seriously, did the world really need a modern muzak twist on "The Girl From Ipanema"?

This morning I sat down to edit some photos, but I checked Facebook first. My brother had made a comment yesterday about Bob Seger, which instantly got "Night Moves" stuck in my head. I saw what everyone else had to say about Bob, but for some reason this morning I got Journey stuck in my head instead of Bob. I just had to hear me some Journey, but I didn't have the album on my laptop, so I started scrolling through what I had with me. Something had to satisfy this craving!

I'm not sure why, but I stopped on Editors. They would do. Although they sound nothing like Journey, they were exactly what I needed to hear this morning. I first heard them on WOXY (RIP), and then heard them live at Monolith (also RIP). These guys put on an amazing show! What was even better was seeing them hanging out listening to other bands at Monolith. On stage, they're kind of intimidating and intense, but in the crowd they were just young guys hanging out having a good time. Very good memories from that first year at Monolith! And, as it turns out, great music for editing.