Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tech Tuesdays - Hama Lens Hood

I had been looking for a good Gegenlichtblende for my 50mm f/1.4 for quite a while. Oh, sorry. Don't speak German? Neither do I, but that's what my Hama lens hood is called on the packaging.

So, as I was saying, I had been looking for a lens hood for my 50mm lens for a while. Although I love some good lens flare, there are times you just want to keep the sun off of the lens. Considering this is the lens I use the most and I’m usually shooting outdoors in natural light, a hood would be a good thing to have.

Imagine my surprise when I walk into a camera shop in Victoria, British Columbia of all places and find a whole rack of lens hoods! The shop, Lens and Shutter, had all kinds of goodies, but most were just a little to expensive considering the exchange rate. The Hama hood was only $15, so I figured I’d go for it.

The hood screws into your lens’ filter thread, so you don’t have to worry about compatibility between lens brands. It’s got a collapsible rubber hood that acts as a bumper for your lens when extended or collapsed and takes up very little space when collapsed. I think it’s a brilliant design!

The big question is: Does it work? So far it does! I’ve found situations where the lens might have been hit by some sun without the hood, but with the hood there’s no light on the lens, giving me better color, contrast and saturation. Of course, lens hoods don’t work miracles and I’ve still got to be careful when I’m shooting into the sun or when the sun is right out of frame.

I’ve also found that the hood doesn’t show up in the photos. The packaging says it can be used for lenses with a focal length of 45-55mm, so my 50mm is right in that range. It’s also got an filter ring built in, so it’s still able to accept filters or lens caps.

I don’t think my Hama lens hood has left my lens since I purchased it. At $15, it’s one of the best deals around. It protects my lens, it shields it from glare and it takes up very little room. Once I got home and did a little research, I found out I got a great deal as well. B&H sells their Hama lens hoods for $25 each. I almost saved enough money to pay for an extra meal in Victoria! Almost.