Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tech Tuesdays - Lastolite Tri-Grip Diffuser


There are some pieces of equipment that aren't always needed, but once you use them in a particular situation and see the results, you're never caught without them. For me, a diffuser is one of those pieces of equipment.

I use a Lastolite Tri-Grip 1-Stop Diffuser. Why is it called a Tri-Grip? Most diffusers and reflectors are circular or rectangular. The Tri-Grip is triangular, like fan. That's the "Tri". The "Grip" comes from a sturdy rubber and plastic piece that allows you to hold and position the diffuser without it losing it's shape. Most diffusers and reflectors are simply fabric stretched across a flexible fame. When you hold the side, you're actually holding onto a small piece of metal and fabric. The Tri-Grip's sturdy handle gives much greater control over the positioning of the diffuser.

The Tri-Grip is collapsible. With a simple twist, it folds up and fits into a small, flat bag (imagine a sun-shade for your car window... that's how it works). It's also very lightweight. Taking it to a shoot doesn't add much weight or bulk to what I'm already bringing along. It's also easy to hold or to strap onto a light stand. The handle has a large velcro strap on each side which can be used to secure the diffuser to various objects so that you don't have to hold onto it while shooting. Another great hand-free option is made possible by it's shape. Because it has flat sides, just set it on the ground, lean it so that it's reflecting a bit of light onto your subject and you don't have to worry about it rolling away like a round reflector or diffuser.

So now that you know what it is, how does the TriGrip work? I've just got one word to describe it: Awesome! Like I said at the beginning, you might not always need a diffuser, but once you know when and how to use it, you can get amazing results. I've used it in direct sunlight to decrease harsh shadows and give an amazing, warm glow to skin. I've put it in front of my flash units to diffuse the flash and give a more even look to my lighting. I've used it to reflect just a bit of light into some shadows. I've even used the case as a seat for a client when she was sitting on the ground so that she wouldn't get dirty!



In my opinion, photos speak louder than words, so take a look at some photos I've taken with my Tri-Grip Diffuser and you'll see that it does it's job and does it well. Now that I know how useful the Tri-Grip Diffuser is, I'm planning on getting a Tri-Grip reflector. If you do a lot of shooting in harsh light, I'd suggest you put a few of these on your wish-list also.

No comments:

Post a Comment