Monday, September 27, 2010

Randomness - Telemarketers

Telemarketers



I got a phone call from a telemarketer the other day. It kind of caught me off guard, as I don't know the last time I got a call like that. It's been years. So, she just dove in and started telling me how great Comcast Digital Cable is. She must have talked for a solid minute before saying, "So let's go ahead and get you signed up." I kindly told her I wasn't interested, which launched her into telling me all about the great channels they offer, "so let's go ahead and get you signed up." When I said thanks, not interested, we don't watch TV she asked what type of movies we like to watch and started rambling off a list of movie genres. I finally just said I was not interested, said goodbye and hung up.

I hate being rude, but come on! That's some high-pressure sales. OK, maybe not used-car sales high-pressure, but still intense, like drinking from the proverbial fire hose. Even when you want to stop you can't!

It got me thinking about my retail days. I never pushed anything on anyone. I was Mr. Nice Guy. I helped the customer, I informed them, I made suggestions, but ultimately it was their decision and their money. Treat people how you'd want to be treated. If I go out to buy something, I'm much more likely to purchase something from someone who treats me with respect and answers my questions than someone who pushes a product on me and can't wait to close the sale.

So, how do I apply this experience to my business? First, I have to start selling something. Sure, I offer prints and products, but I don't actively sell them. I try to let them sell themselves, but without any kind of sales meeting, it's pretty hard. That's all going to change in 2011. I'll hold sales sessions, but they won't really be about selling something. They'll be about getting feedback, figuring out what people want and showing them what their options are. No pressure, no expectations, just information and examples. The last thing my customers want to hear is, "So let's go ahead and get you signed up."

No comments:

Post a Comment