Monday, February 28, 2011

Randomness - Conversations, Part II


Conversations, Part II




Before I went to college, I didn't talk much.  It's not that I didn't have anything to say.  It's just that I didn't say it to very many people.  I had a close group of friends that I could hang out with and talk to, but I rarely initiated conversations with anyone.  Things changed in college.

In college I opened up.  I started raising my hand in class.  I initiated conversations and said more than 5 words at a time. I joined a band, got up on stage and danced and sang.  People who knew me from high school couldn't believe it.  Sometimes, neither could I, but it was a change that stuck.  I don't always talk a lot.  Sometimes I find it's best to sit back and listen to what other people are saying.  Other times, though, it's good to have a conversation.

Opportunities begin with conversation.  A few months ago, I was photographing an event and met Kimothy and Tess, who also happen to be photographers (Love•n•Joy Photography).  We had a nice conversation, went our separate ways and continued to enjoy our evenings.  The next day I received an email asking if I'd consider helping them shoot weddings during the summer.  They also asked if I'd take their portrait.  That portrait session led to another conversation, in which we mentioned some personal photo shoots we were planning.  Now we're planning a pretty big bridal fashion shoot together.  Without that initial conversation we would not currently be making plans together for next week, next month or even next year.

It's often said that the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  Sometimes that first step is a smile, a "Hello" and a conversation.  Once you take that step, be prepared and open for opportunities to present themselves.  You never know where that first step is going to lead you.

In case you're wondering why this is "Conversations, Part II", you can read my first post on conversations here.

No comments:

Post a Comment