Friday, February 11, 2011

Use The Info In Your Viewfinder - Better Photos... Now!

Here's an easy tip for you. To take a picture, you have to look through your viewfinder, right? How often do you look at the information along the bottom of your viewfinder? If you're ignoring that info, you're missing out!

Most DSLR viewfinders show a variety of information, but usually they'll at least tell you if you are focused on your subject, shutter speed, aperture, exposure, ISO and number of shots remaining on your memory card. This is important information and it's all available without ever having to take your eye away from the camera.

When I first started using my DSLR, I ignored this information. I was so focused on composition and making sure I was doing things correctly, it was easier to ignore this part of my viewfinder than to try to process the extra information. Once I started using this information, though, it actually made it easier to get the photos I wanted. Why? Because if something was wrong, I could quickly check my camera setting in my viewfinder and see what needed changed. If my exposure meter is telling me the photos is going to be underexposed but I'm already at a pretty low shutter speed, I just check the ISO and see if I can raise it. Maybe I see I've only got 10 images left on my memory card. I'd much rather know ahead of time than fill up my card right when I least expect it.

Ultimately, the information in your viewfinder is just another tool that you can use as you see fit. Use it in a way that benefits you and it can only help. So, the next time you look through your viewfinder, pay attention to all of that other information that's in there. Someday you'll thank me!

Thanks to Rob Galbraith for the image.

Read all of my DSLR tips here.

No comments:

Post a Comment