Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tech Tuesdays - Professional Photographer Magazine


If you've read either of my previous magazine reviews for PDN and Rangefinder, you'll know that I'm a magazine junkie. I just love 'em. In fact, I had to cancel a few subscriptions just so I could read the magazines that I truly loved to read. When I was considering what to keep and what to cut, Professional Photographer Magazine (PPM) barely made the cut.

It's not a bad magazine. Compared to many of the photography magazines you'll find on the newsstand, it's much more pro-oriented. Why then would I consider not renewing my subscription? It's almost too easy to read, especially compared to PDN and Rangefinder, both of which have substantial articles covering a variety of photographic genres. On the other hand, PPM has fairly short articles that don't seem to have quite as much substance to them. It also mainly deals with portraiture and weddings. I've got nothing against portraiture and weddings, as that's pretty much all that I do, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading about something else once in a while.

Another gripe I have with PPM is that, at times, it can seem like one big advertisement for the Professional Photographers of America (PPA). The PPM is a publication of the PPA, so that's no surprise, but it still bugs me. From promoting PPA services and classes to upcoming PPA events, it's easy to go from being intrigued to being turned off.

In the end, I renewed my subscription to PPM. Why? It's a great magazine! It has great articles about running a photography business. It has beautiful pictures, which are always a great source of inspiration. And, as I mentioned, it's pretty easy to read. When I don't feel like diving into a new issue of PDN or Rangefinder, I know that I can always pick up my PPM and just sit back and read. The biggest deciding factor was that it's not available for sale at newsstands. I know that most magazines that I don't subscribe to can easily be purchased if I want a particular issue. With this one, that's not an option.

For $20 a year, I think PPM is a pretty good value. While it might not be my favorite photography magazine around, it's definitely one that I enjoy reading. At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with reading something you find enjoyable (and hopefully learning something or getting some inspiration while you're at it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment