Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bridal Fashion Photo Shoot - Denver Fashion and Wedding Photography

I first started thinking about this bridal fashion photo shoot a few months ago. Denver has so many talented designers and amazing businesses that work within the wedding industry, I wanted to do something to pull all of this talent together for a day to see what would happen. I started making phone calls, caught a few lucky breaks and... well, you'll see the results in a minute, right after I explain the photo shoot.

The idea was to get some images that involved everyone who might normally be involved in a wedding, but without making it look like a wedding. That's why I wanted to go with the fashion direction for the look and feel of the images. Fortunately, everyone was on board with this idea! With so many people being involved (20!), it was a great feeling to have everyone's trust and support in taking the shoot in a different direction than a normal bridal shoot.

After weeks of planning, a few changes in who was participating and some last-minute luck, the day of the shoot had finally arrived. I had done a big shoot before, but nothing quite this big  Not only were there the makeup artists, hair stylists and wardrobe stylists you might expect to find at a photo shoot, but there was also a florist, caterer and even a DJ!  At times I thought I might have been in over my head, but I had lots of help from everyone involved, which made Sunday run pretty smoothly.

In all honesty, I am just thrilled with the photos we got. With a shoot this big, I was getting a little worried that I'd spend more time managing people and putting out fires than taking photos on the day of the shoot. Fortunately, Kimothy and Tess with Love n Joy Photography had my back (who I want to send a very special THANK YOU to... you two are just amazing and so much fun to work with. Hanging out with you makes me feel like I'm in one of those movies where the cool kid (Kimothy and Tess) asks the nerd (me) to prom just to win a bet, but since neither of you has asked me to prom yet, I'm feeling pretty good about things) and I had total confidence in them getting amazing photos if I didn't get to shoot as much as I had hoped. As it turns out, I got to spend lots of time behind the camera.  Check it out!









Yeah, considering I've got close to 200 photos that I really like (but don't have room to show you here), I'd say it was a good day!

Here's a complete list of everyone who was involved in the shoot. Without every single one of these people, it would not have been anywhere near as successful as it was. I want to send a huge thank you to the entire team. If you're ever in need of a service they provide, I highly recommend them!

Photography - Love n Joy Photography: Kimothy and Tess are two amazing photographers who made the entire day so much more fun and relaxing for me and everyone else at the shoot.  I'll say it again... you two rock!  I can't wait to work with you again.

Dresses – ECO-Bridal: Andrea supplied a great selection of dresses for the shoot, as well as a great eye for who looked best in which dress.

Stylist - Worthwhile Style: Tina not only spent the entire day coming up with looks for each model, but she also found time to style an entire room for us to shoot in! I don't call her "the Amazing Tina Gill" for nothing.

Veils and headpieces – Natalee M Designs: Natalee makes amazing headpieces. End of story. She can also take a pile of fabric and, within minutes, create a delicate flower to pin on a dress. It just blows my mind.

Jewelry – Boutique de Bijoux: Katharine has such a wide variety of jewelry we were able to find anything we needed within the pieces she brought to the shoot. Not only that, but she got some great behind the scenes photos throughout the day!

Hair – Rebelle Salon: Carly and Lauren came through with short notice to do some awesome hair for the shoot.

Makeup – Belle Amore Makeup Artistry: Jacki and I have worked together in the past, but never with such reserved makeup. Proving just how talented she is, she's just as good at bridal makeup as she is at fashion makeup.

Makeup – K Schell Designs: Kori did a great job with her models' makeup. Not only that, she started doing hair after Carly and Lauren had to leave! Yeah, I think we'll be working together again.

Flowers – The Perfect Petal: Katherine really embraced my request for something different and brought some beautiful bouquets. People couldn't stop commenting on how amazing they were!

Catering – Elements Catering: Kelly took great care of us. Not only did she bring wraps, but also pasta salad, regular salad and even dessert! I think she brought extra, but it was so good there was hardly anything left at the end of the day.

Location – Distinctive Mantle Designs: Rita was kind enough to let us take over their entire showroom for this shoot. I know she also rents it out for parties (I've been to one... it makes a great place to throw a big party), but I think it was the perfect place for a photo shoot!

DJ - Simply Entertainment: Phil is really the person who made this shoot a success. Without a steady supply of good music a shoot can flop. We were going strong all day long with the great music Phil was playing!

And finally, Wilhelmina Denver and the models.  I've heard from so many people how nice they were and how much fun they had working with these ladies.  I'd love to work with any of them again any time!  Thank you to Kellie, Kinsey, Megan, Morgan, Rose and Whitney.

One last special thank you goes out to my wife, Belinda, not only for helping out on the day of the shoot, but also for keeping me sane in the weeks of preparation leading up to the shoot.  You're the best!

5 comments:

  1. Way to go John! I had so much fun and loved styling all the models as well as the room! You are a-maz-ing and I am soooo happy I had the opportunity to work with you and all of the talented people on the shoot! One question- what are we doing next? ;) thanks for all your hard work putting this together...the images are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! John, We totally would have asked you to a prom (sans bet) but we're sure Belinda already had dibs. :)

    The images you got are amazing! Can you do a pt. 2?? Please?? :) You are awesome. Period. We can't say that enough. Thank you so much for everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow John, everything looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are great John!! I agree when are we going to do round 2? It was such a fun shoot. Thank you I look forward to working with you again soon.
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete