Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Tech Tuesdays - Rangefinder Magazine


I love magazines. It's no secret. At any point in time I probably have at least 5 unread magazines laying around the house, usually many more. There are few things I have a hard time not purchasing, but anytime I'm in a bookstore I rarely leave without a new magazine to add to my "to read" pile. I have a few non-photography related magazines, but the majority of them are about photography. The only problem with magazines, especially the ones that are printed overseas, is that they are quite expensive.

Now, imagine that you love magazines, that you're very picky about magazines, that you don't want to waste your time on filler and advertisements and on information that you already know. Imagine that I tell you that there's a magazine that has loads of great, useful, current information that pertains to you, an avid and possibly professional photographer. Imagine I tell you that every single article in this magazine is worth reading and that the articles are long and well-written. Sounds pretty good, right? Now imagine I tell you that it's free and will be delivered to your mailbox every month. All you have to do is sign up online.

Free? The only free things that come to my mailbox for free are not worth reading. They get one look and then get recycled. Plus, there's got to be a catch, right? I'll end up on a bunch of junk mail lists. It will be printed on cheap paper and get torn up in the mail. Things like this do not exist anymore. Imagine I tell you that you're wrong.

Rangefinder Magazine has got to be one of the most well-kept secrets around for a photographer. It is truly a free magazine that is full of great information. You won't end up on junk mail lists, or at least I haven't after close to a year. It's printed on high-quality paper and it shows up every month looking great. Out of any photography magazine I've ever read, Rangefinder is probably my favorite and by far the most useful.

A typical issue of Rangefinder includes about 3-5 long articles about photographers. Each issue has a theme and the photographers all work within that theme, so one month might be Fine Art and the next might be Black and White. In addition to the articles about photographers, there's also articles about industry trends, new gear, software, news and events. Most importantly, though, it's written for professional photographers, so almost every article has a focus on running and improving your business.

To be quite honest, I could pull out example after example of the great content and writing that you'll find in this magazine, but since you have nothing to lose by subscribing to it, I suggest you just sign up and wait for your first issue to arrive. If you don't immediately devour it and wait anxiously for your next issue to arrive, you'll have more options soon. I'll be posting many more magazine reviews in the coming months... just as soon as I read through my pile.

You can subscribe to Rangefinder Magazine here.

No comments:

Post a Comment