Friday, December 31, 2010

Year End Review - Looking Back At 2010 And Forward To 2011


When I look back at 2010, I'm amazed at how much has happened in the past year. I've met so many wonderful people, had so many fun shoots and learned so much, it's hard to believe that less than a year ago I'd never even been in a photography studio before (at least not as a photographer).

It's funny how the more you learn about something, the more you realize you don't know. This is certainly true with photography. I had an excellent learning experience in 2010 with the Meeting of the Masters and hope to attend some more training in 2011. I also learned a great deal about myself and my skills with my 365 project. Both of these experiences taught me so many little details that I have been able to use at every shoot, I'm not sure where I'd be today without them.

Of course, gaining knowledge isn't much good if you don't get to use it once in a while. In addition to all of my paying shoots, I did a number of personal shoots as well. Some were personal projects and some were just for fun. They were all a great way to not only use my camera but also to meet new people.

One of the things that surprised me the most in 2010 was how fun it is to network. I'm not normally a social guy, but for some reason diving into a room of people and seeing how we can help each other is something I truly enjoy. I have met so many wonderful people in such a short amount of time, I can't wait to see what next year holds.

Speaking of next year, what's the plan for next year? Is it going to be the same as 2010? Is there going to be anything new? Well, if I've learned anything from this year, it's that you never know what's going to happen, but if I can be so bold as to put something in writing, here's what I'm thinking for 2011...

One of my big focuses is going to be on high school senior photos. In 2010, I kind of decided at the last minute to dip my toe in and see what happened. It turns out I love working with seniors! I'm planning on spending most of my summer photographing seniors, but I'll leave a little room for weddings. That's right, I'm going to try to book a few weddings in 2011. I was fortunate enough to shoot a few weddings in 2010 and I'm looking forward to shooting a few more in 2011.

Also up in 2011 is a new website. I'm putting the finishing touches on it, so look for it very early in 2011. A website doesn't do much good if no one looks at it, so that's why I'm also planning on not slowing down with the networking. I'm loving it too much to stop, so hopefully I'll meet plenty of new people who I can send to my new website!

Finally, I'm planning on 2011 being a better year for business. Don't get me wrong, 2010 was a great year, but I have a feeling that when it's time to sit down and crunch the numbers for the year, I'll be pretty shocked at what I find. It's time to get more serious on the business side of things and start thinking about things like profit. Yes, I know... crazy idea, right? Well, maybe 2011 is the year things get a little crazy around here. I can't wait!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment