Thursday, December 23, 2010

Year End Review - 2010 Denver Event Photography

I don't typically post about the various events I photograph throughout the year, so I figured I'd give you quick summaries of a few of the more high profile events I've had the opportunity to shoot this year.

The White House Project event with Marie Wilson
The White House Project is an amazing, non-partisan organization who's goal is to create a pipeline of female leaders who participate in politics, from the local levels up to The White House. It was founded by Marie Wilson. Marie came to Denver earlier this year for an event in Cherry Creek. I was asked to photograph the event and had a great time hanging out with so many young, passionate people.



Colorado Conservation Voters event with Gov. Bill Ritter
Colorado Conservation Voters co-hosted an event that, among other things, recognized Governor Bill Ritter for his pro-conservation actions during his term as Colorado's Governor. I was front-and-center photographing during his speech, which was quite emotional and sincere.


Dianna DeGette Fundraiser
Colorado Congresswoman Diana DeGette held a fundraiser this summer and asked me to be her photographer for the evening. Although the event started out with some rain, it eventually cleared up and the tightly packed crowd that had gathered to rub shoulders with the Congresswoman were able to step outside for a little breather. She had the same idea and the party moved outside into the crisp Colorado summer air.


MESA 30th Anniversary event with Gov. Bill Ritter
When I was asked to photograph MESA's 30th Anniversary Event, I couldn't believe I'd get to photograph another event with Governor Ritter! MESA is an organization that promotes Math, Engineering and Science Achievement in middle and high school students. This September they celebrated their 30th anniversary in the Governor's Mansion and I spent the evening as the photographer. The highlight of my evening came when the Governor finished his speech and a young boy timidly walked up to him to get a photo with his cell phone. Governor Ritter said to the boy, "It would be a better picture if you were in it too." I took the boy's phone while he proudly stood next to his Governor and I took his picture. Later, the boy's mother came up to me and was overjoyed with the photo. When I told her the story, she got choked up at Governor Ritter's kind gesture. It made my evening.


Historic Denver at The Brown Palace
Every year, Historic Denver holds their annual awards event at The Brown Palace. Historic Denver promotes the preservation and maintenance of Denver's historic neighborhoods and buildings. I photographed the same event in 2009 when Mayor John Hickenlooper was the event's emcee. When I asked if he'd be back for 2010, I was told that he'd probably be a little busy, as the event was held the Wednesday after Election Day (when he was elected as Colorado's next Governor). It was still a fabulous event that attracted 400 guests and filled The Brown Palace Lobby to it's capacity.


It seems that although this year has slowed down a bit as for events, the events I have shot have been a little more high-profile. It's always nice to dive into a big crowd of people and start taking photos. You never know what kind of reaction you're going to get or who you're going to meet. Although I don't think I could only photograph events, they sure are fun to do once in a while. With guests and locations like I got to shoot this year, what isn't there to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment