Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 Resolutions

Last year I made some resolutions.  This year I am going to do the same.  Let's take a look at last year's and see how I did...


- Stop apologizing for my camera. I did a pretty good job with this one.  I think my photos speak for themselves and most people don't really care what kind of camera they came from.

- Get organized. Hmmm... this is a little iffy.  I didn't get super organized, but at least I have systems that work for me.  There's always room for improvement, though, so consider this an ongoing project.

- Learn to "read" photos for lighting. I think I did OK with this one.  I didn't really push myself very hard, but I didn't really have a need to.  Fortunately I was busy enough to not have the free time to do this.

- Grow and maintain my network. I didn't really start working on this one until later in the year, but it's definitely grown since last year.  Success!

- Get out and shoot more!  I didn't really get out that much, at least not for personal work.  Once my 365 was done, I didn't have very many reasons to head out for photos.


This year I'm going to change things up a bit and get more serious.  Here are my 2011 resolutions:



- Work harder at directing, not just photographing.  In order to more consistently get the photographs I want, I need to make them happen, not just hope that they happen.


- Continue to grow and maintain my network.  My network grew enormously in 2010, but now I need to maintain the connections that I've made, as well as continue to make new connections.  


- Be more selective about who I donate time to.  As I get busier, my free time becomes more valuable.  As my free time becomes more valuable, I need to get more selective about who receives it.


- Join some organizations.  Up to this point, I have been flying solo.  As I have grown my network, I have only started to realize the advantage of knowing other photographers and business owners.  By joining some professional organizations, I hope to not only continue growing my network but growing professionally as well.


- Develop the business side of things.  Here's the big one for the year.  To paraphrase Jasmine Star, I need to run my business like a business, not an expensive hobby.  I haven't been doing a bad job, but I can always do a better job.  This is the year it happens.


Here's to a safe and successful 2011.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment