Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Hair Shoot


Anyone who's read this blog before has probably seen me write about working wit Tanya Owens. I've done four photo shoots with her before (see here) and she's also done hair at two of my photos shoots (see here for what I thought about it). Well, one of the shoots wasn't actually mine... Tanya had the idea and put it all together and all I had to do was show up with my camera. As a team, though, we got some pretty good stuff.

Tanya contacted seven of her regular clients, as well as a few models that she knows, to be hair models for this shoot. She met with a few of them before the shoot to do their hair, so all they had to do was show up at the studio, get their makeup done and they were ready to shoot. I set up a few different lighting setups and got ready for a wild ride.

I couldn't believe how smoothly everything went. Tanya was doing hair. Jacki was doing makeup. I was shooting as soon as they were ready. We really didn't have a chance to rest until the shoot was done, a little over 4 hours later! Tanya was so good she even had a chance to re-do many of the model's hair so they had different looks!

I'm not sure how many "wins" there were in this shoot, but let me try to figure it out: Tanya got photos for her portfolio; Jacki got photos for her portfolio (plus, she got to model a little also); the models got photos of themselves with fabulous hair and makeup; I got photos for my portfolio (plus the experience of a big, fast-paced shoot). I guess that's a win-win-win-win, not to mention all of the other "wins" that could still happen, like the photos getting printed in hairstyle magazines or books, increased customer loyalty for Tanya, me possibly getting more business because of the contacts I made that day... Oh, I know of another win: I've since hired Jacki to do makeup for another shoot that I put on! I love stuff like this!

You can see more photos from the shoot here.

No comments:

Post a Comment