Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Quick Note...

April 1: *** IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ***

I just thought I'd let you know about a little change I've decided to make. For Christmas, I was given Chase Jarvis' book, "The Best Camera Is The One That's With You". This book has inspired me to start using my phone's camera more often. I've started enjoying it so much that I've decided to give up my DSLR and just use my camera phone for everything from now on.

Sure, there are a few downsides to this plan. The battery on my phone doesn't last as long. For example, my phone dies after an hour or two when the screen is constantly on, but at a recent photo shoot I was able to shoot for 5 hours, took about 1400 photos with my DSLR and the battery was only drained to 45%. Also, I can't hook up my Pocket Wizards to my phone, but I think with a little practice I'll be able to manually trigger the flashes when I take a picture with my phone. There's also the perception that using a camera phone at a photo shoot isn't "professional". All I have to say is that if people don't understand my creativity, then I'll just go find someone who does!

On the plus side, my phone has many features that my DSLR doesn't. For example, I can instantly email photos to anyone right after I take them. I can also post them to Facebook or Flickr from my phone. No more uploading to a computer, resizing and emailing. Sometimes I miss a phone call when I'm at a photo shoot because the music is turned up or I'm just to into what I'm doing... but not anymore! Now I'll always have my phone in my hand, so if someone calls, I'll just stop taking photos and answer the phone! The best aspect of this is definitely the amount of gear I'll have to worry about. In the past, I'd have to show up with a big bag of camera gear. It's heavy and takes up a lot of room in my car! Plus, I always worry about it getting stolen. Now, I just toss my phone in my pocket and I'm good to go!

I hope that you understand that these changes I'm making won't impact the quality of the photos I take. My clients are my highest priority. I'll continue to put every ounce of energy into the creative process to ensure that your photos.... hold on, my phone is ringing.

No comments:

Post a Comment