Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tech Tuesdays - Book Review - "Big Bucks Selling Your Photography"


I try to read a lot. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I get a lot of magazines. These help keep me current on industry trends and new technology that's coming onto the market. They also serve nice, bite-sized chunks of info that are easy to digest. Sometimes, though, you want a full meal of information. Instead of the sample-platter, you want to really get to know a dish and eat the whole thing. That's when I pick up a book.

I recently finished "Big Bucks Selling Your Photography" by Cliff Hollenbeck. When I first picked up this book, I thought it would be another cheesy book (there are lots of them out there) with very superficial descriptions of how to run a business. It's not. As I flipped through the pages I realized that the person writing the book had some experience and also had some really good things to say. Not only that, but his writing style is very conversational which makes it sound a lot less like a text book. I went ahead and checked it out from the library, knowing I could return it if I didn't feel like reading it.

Not only did I end up reading the entire book, but I read parts of it twice! There isn't a single picture in the book, so don't expect anything to greet you but a bunch of words. The book is broken down into distinct chapters such as "Photography Is Your Business", "Life and Death After Taxes" and "Successful Portfolios". There are a few chapters that I skimmed (I feel pretty comfortable not reading an entire chapter on computers), and some that I read twice (I thought it might be a good idea to re-read "The Insanity Of Freelancing").

I don't know how many times I was reading this book and just found myself thinking about ways I could apply what I was reading to my business. The combination of writing style, experience and ideas are so inspiring, you'll find it hard not to improve your business practices if you read this book. I've already taken a few simple suggestions and applied them to my current business practices.

I would buy this book. It's got enough good information in it to be worth purchasing and used as a reference for years to come, no matter at which stage of your photography career you are in. If you do decide to check it out or purchase it, be sure to get the most current edition (currently 4th Edition, 2008). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment