Friday, July 30, 2010

The Friday Fix - 7/30/10

You know how you get a song stuck in your head? When you wake up in the morning, there it is. When you're doing chores, there it is. Even though you listen to it, hoping that will satisfy whatever is going on inside your head, it's still stuck in there. It's actually called an ear worm. Not sure how they came up with that name, but that's what it's called.

Well, this week I've not just had a song stuck in my head, but an entire album. My mind randomly hops from one song to the next. I'll start humming one song and a few minutes later be humming another. Belinda says I'm weird. I say I've just got a family of ear worms.

This week that album was MGMT's Oracular Spectacular. This is an amazing album. Just about every song is ear worm-worthy. It's one of those albums that you listen to for the first time and feel like you've been listening to it forever. It just feels familiar. It's been playing almost non-stop this week.

Another little kick I've been on is the Basement Jaxx. Ever since I heard "Rendez-Vu" (from their Remedy album) on KCSU back in college I was hooked. Their sound is very distinct, but not in a weird way. It's the kind of music that you put on and people ask you, "Who is this?". It makes you feel cool (both the music and people asking who the music is). It's perfect for an energy boost or for a drive across town.

When I wasn't listening to MGMT or Basement Jaxx, I had Pig Radio going in the background. Ever since our beloved WOXY went away we've been looking for a replacement. While Pig Radio doesn't replace WOXY, it certainly has a nice playlist that doesn't get old over the course of a day.

That does it for this week. I'll be on vacation for the next few weeks, so I won't be listening to much music. Once I return, though, I'm sure I'll have plenty of editing to do, which means lots of music!

No comments:

Post a Comment