Thursday, July 29, 2010

Abla - Overland HS Senior

When you head outside of the studio and shoot with natural light, you become a hunter. You're constantly on the lookout for pools of good light and when you find a good one the results can be amazing. Fortunately, during Abla's session we were flooded with good light and we've got the photos to prove it!

Abla is going to be a senior at Overland High School in 2011. When we sat down to discuss her photos, she had just returned from an out of state FBLA conference. She's the Colorado FBLA Vice President and her school FBLA president. She's also an honors student and a self-described "girly tomboy". Add a wonderful personality to the mix and you've got someone who you'd love to spend an afternoon with!

We spent our afternoon in downtown Denver, wandering around bridges, alleys and parking garages. Although it might sound a little sketchy, when you're hunting for light you never stray into the dark places. We were always skirting the boundaries between the bustle of public streets and the quiet of removed alcoves where the good light likes to hide.

Although there was a threat of thunderstorms, all we got was a gloriously thin cloud-cover to diffuse the sun and a little wind to stir up Abla's hair and cool things down a bit. To be honest, although our two hour session stretched to two and a half hours, I could have easily turned it into a four hour session. It was that kind of a day. Unfortunately, Abla had places to go and people to see.

We said goodbye and, as I got into my vehicle and headed home, I could feel my camera sitting next to me, calling me. I knew that there were some good photos sitting there, but I wouldn't be able to look at them until I got home. As I always do, I replayed parts of the day in my head while I drove. I thought of some should-haves and started to wonder if the photos were going to be as good as I had hoped. Once I got home and took a look at them, any fears or doubts I had vanished. We went out hunting for light. We came back with amazing images. See more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment