Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Yelpapalooza 2.0



It was a dark and stormy night... well, it wasn't dark when I got there, but like most nights, it eventually got dark. It was stormy, though, which could have been a good thing because Yelpapalooza 2.0 was crazy enough without another few hundred people there!

So, first off, what's up with the name? Yelpapalooza? 2.0? This event was hosted by Yelp, a web site that lets locals review local businesses. They're an outgoing company that likes to have fun, hence the name "Yelpapalooza". This was their 2nd year in Denver, so there's the "2.0".

I started using Yelp to find good places to eat and quickly became a contributor. I found a few friends on there who also write reviews and was talking to one of them, Demetrius, who also happens to be a photographer. He had been offered the opportunity to photograph this event, but he just wanted to attend and have a good time, so he recommended me instead. Yelp liked what they saw and before I knew it I was in!

Instead of the traditional event photos that you get from most events, I asked if they'd like me to set up a photobooth. Actually, it's more of a portable studio, as I had a full-sized seamless backdrop and studio lighting. They said yes and it turns out everyone loved it! Lots of Yelpers (people who use Yelp) who attended the event still have my photos as their avatars on Facebook, Yelp and who knows where else.

Although the night started out slow (darn rain!), it quickly picked up and people got a little less inhibited (thank you, alcohol!) in front of the camera. Fortunately, I had some great helpers. My wife was there to steer people towards the camera and hand out business cards. Sammy T, a good friend of mine, was there to schmooze and provide good vibes, as well as jump in on a few photos. And guess who else was there? Demetrius! He went to enjoy the party, but I think he spent more time hanging out with me, helping pose people and lending a hand wherever it was needed. If there's a camera around, he just can't stay away.

One thing I'll say about these Yelpers is that they're an outgoing bunch of people! They love to ham it up in front of the camera. I think I spent as much time smiling and laughing as I did taking photos! As I mentioned before, once the alcohol started flowing, people started to get a little more wild. Eventually, things started to get out of hand and the backdrop paid the price. It had drinks spilled on it, holes torn in it and people almost falling through it. Fortunately it held together until the end of the event and everyone who wanted photos got them.

Yelpapalooza 2.0 was an awesome event. I met so many wonderful people and had a blast. There was great food, great drinks and lots of free stuff. Despite the rain, hundreds of people still came out to party. I can't imagine what it would have been like if the weather had been nice and all 900 people who RSVP'd had shown up! Maybe next year... I'd better invest in some heavy-duty seamless paper!

You can find more photos from the event here.

No comments:

Post a Comment