Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tech Tuesdays - Pocket Wizard Hotshoe Adapter



Strobist. It's a word that was only recently added to the photography lexicon. Essentially, it's the concept of not using on-camera flash and using off-camera flash as a light source instead. The most popular light sources are Speedlights (which I'll use to refer to any hotshoe flash, not just Nikon's models). The problem with a hotshoe is that it's on the camera!

Some camera manufacturers have added capabilities to their cameras that allow them to trigger Speedlights remotely by using the on-camera flash to send commands to Speedlights. This system tends to work great except for a few limitations: the flash has to be in sight so the light from the flash will reach it; and it doesn't always work in bright sunlight.

One way to work around this limitation is to use a Pocket Wizard to trigger the Speedlight. Unfortunately, this option has it's limitations as well. Not all Speedlights have the capability to connect to a Pocket Wizard. Also, you loose any TTL capabilities that you had by using your camera to control the flash.

Fortunately, Flash Zebra came up with an inexpensive solution that solves the first problem. Their Speedlight hotshoes adapter gives your hotshoe flash the ability to connect to Pocketwizards (or other radio triggers). I purchased one for my SB-600 and took it for a spin the other night.

The way these work is simple. You attach your flash to the unit, which is essentially a hotshoe with a cable coming out of it. The unit has another hotshoe mount on the bottom so it can be mounted anywhere your flash can be mounted. It also has a threaded insert if you want to mount it directly to a threaded light stand. The cable plugs into your Pocketwizard and you're ready to shoot!

Although you don't have any TTL capabilities, it only takes a little trial and error to figure out the correct settings for your flash. Then you just shoot! I didn't have a single misfire in almost two hours of use. The only problem I experienced was that the flash would go into standby mode when not used for a while, which caused me to miss a few shots because the flash was asleep. The second shot worked every time once it woke up.

I had used my SB-600 many times with Nikon's CLS (Creative Lighting System), which relies on the on-camera flash , line of sight and hopefully no bright sunlight. It works, but I missed more shots with CLS than I missed with the Flash Zebra product because I moved away from the flash or the sun was too bright .

Not only is the adapter a great product, but Flash Zebra shipped it super-fast. I think it arrived two days after I ordered it! I know for a fact that it shipped the same day. There was even a nice handwritten thank you on my invoice! I know where I'm going to go the next time I need any hotshoe flash accessories!

No comments:

Post a Comment