Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tech Tuesdays - Classes and Events


The idea behind Tech Tuesdays is to talk about gear or items that you can use to enhance your photography. This includes everything from cameras and lenses to reflectors and web sites. Now it's also going to include training.

As you might have noticed, yesterday's post was about The Meeting Of The Masters. This was a class that I attended here in Denver. This was the first time for the event and it was excellent. The idea behind the event came from Jay Kilgore. He'd always wanted to get a bunch of world-class photographers together and have them talk about their careers, styles and experiences. This is exactly what happened and you'd better believe that there was lots to learn.

So, in addition to becoming a sponge and soaking up as much information as possible, what else can you get from a class? Depending on the size of the class, you can meet many people from different parts of the country (or the world). At this class, we had people from locations ranging from California to Maryland and Canada to Germany. The people were very nice and now I have plenty of contacts around the country if I'm ever in an area and want to set up a shoot.

We got to meet some local models and makeup artists, as well as photographers, so now I have greatly expanded my local network. I'm sure there will be many people that I'll collaborate with again in the near future. I know there are a few people that I'll keep in mind if a job ever comes up that I can't accept for any reason.

We also heard about industry trends and technology and got to hear the Masters' takes on the industry. We saw samples of products that are available from various vendors. We got coupons for various discounts and free prints. There were even door prizes that included gift certificates, camera bags and flash heads!

Although this was my first big training that I've been to, I can imagine that many of the other large sessions that occur throughout the year across the country are just as good for all of the reasons I mentioned above. Now that this class is over, I think I need to start looking for another class to attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment