Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tech Tuesdays - The Internet


OK... two weeks ago we had Tech Tuesdays - Blogs. Last week we had Tech Tuesdays - Flickr. Today, for the final installment of Tech Tuesdays' "Online Edition", we're just going to go for it and have Tech Tuesdays - The Internet. I mean, can you get a much more useful tool than the internet?

What did photographers do without the internet? Want to buy some new gear, but like to research it first? Go online. Want to research a specific lighting technique? Go online. Want to network or find a local club? Go online. Do you need ideas or inspiration? Go online.

Software can now be downloaded and updated without ever putting a physical piece of media in your computer. Photos can be posted to a web site for proofing. Cameras and flashes can even be updated over the internet!

Tonight, I just had an experience that really illustrates how powerful of a tool the internet has become for photographers. I was creating a book with White House Custom Color (WHCC - They'll get their own Tech Tuesdays soon), but I didn't have the template for the book. I went to their web site, downloaded the template and opened it in Photoshop. I still didn't know exactly what size the photos needed to be, so I did a quick search on Google and got the answer I was looking for. After creating my pages in Photoshop, I used WHCC's custom program, which checks with WHCC to ensure all pricing is up to date and supplies are in stock before you get started, to build my book, place my order, upload all my files and pay, all with the click of a button!

You know the power of the internet. It's a part of life now. For photographers, it's not only a part of life, it's an indispensable tool that gets used on a daily basis. So what happens if my internet is ever out? I go shoot some pictures (which I then post online, as soon as it's working agian)!

No comments:

Post a Comment