Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tech Tuesdays - Tripods



Last week I was painfully reminded of how much I need my tripod. No, I wasn't in a low-light situation and came away with blurry photos. I was too lazy to go get my tripod out of my car and had to use... my old tripod!

To be fair, my old tripod was never really intended for serious photography. It's one of the $20 models that you can buy just about anywhere. While it's better than nothing, it leaves a lot to be desired. One of the first things I noticed after not using it for quite a while was how flimsy and wobbly it actually is. When I had never used anything else it felt just fine, but I now realize that it moves way too easily. When I extended the center column, I actually had to wait for the camera to stop swaying before I took the photo!

So now that you know what I'm comparing my current tripod to, you'll probably think that just about anything would be better. You might be right, but there are a few lessons to be learned from this experience. Read on to lean what they are...

My current tripod is a Velbon El Carmagne 530. It's legs are carbon fiber, which helps to keep the weight down, and the center column is aluminum. The head is a Velbon PH-250B. So what are the glaring differences between this tripod and my old one?



- Height: The Velbon gives me much more height to work with, and it's sturdy through the entire height range. I don't have to worry about a wobbly camera when the center column is extended. The legs also extend out, away from the camera which allows the camera to get to almost ground-level.
- Weight: The Velbon is much sturdier and as a much better head on it, but it weighs almost the same as my old tripod.
- Adjustability: All of the legs can be independently adjusted, giving a stable footing on almost any incline or terrain.
- Head: The head on this tripod is great. Not everyone is a fan of a pan-tilt head (many prefer ball-heads), but I love the fact that I can adjust one axis of movement without affecting the others. It's sturdy and locks tightly. I've never missed a shot because the head has allowed the camera to move.
- The Look: Although it doesn't make the tripod perform any differently, the Velbon definitely looks much more "professional". It also just looks cooler.



Although a tripod is not usually the most lusted-after piece of equipment for most photographers, a good, high-quality tripod should be considered an essential piece of gear. From landscape to fashion photographers, everyone will need a tripod at some point. When that time comes, make sure you've got one that you can rely on. I'm pretty sure if you throw that D3x with your 70-200mm f/2.8 on a cheap tripod and someone bumps it, it's going down and you're not going to have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment