Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tech Tuesdays - Sekonic L-358 Light Meter

There's a fine line between arrogant and ignorant.  Before I got my Sekonic L-358 light meter, I was arrogant.  After I got it, I realized I was just ignorant.  Let me explain...

I could always figure out the proper exposure for a photo with a little trial and error.  Take a picture, check the LCD and histogram, adjust the camera settings, repeat as necessary.  I typically had a good exposure within 3 shots and 10 seconds.  Why would I need a light meter for that?  Well, that was when I was shooting outdoors and had one source of light.  Once I moved into the studio, I started setting up shots with more than one light.  I started dealing with lighting ratios.  Once you start shooting with 3 or 4 lights, you can forget about an easy trial and error approach to lighting.  It's possible, but why bother when you can pick up a light meter and save yourself the headache?

When I first got my Sekonic, I wasn't sure how much I'd actually use it.  I found a good deal and jumped on it, figuring I'd need it sooner or later.  Little did I realize how soon "sooner" would be.  After using it at a few shoots, I knew I'd purchased a very valuable piece of equipment that wouldn't be leaving my camera bag.

What makes this light meter so valuable?  First, let me be clear that everything I've discussed so far can apply to any light meter.  This particular meter has a few features that make it a favorite of many.  I'm not going to rattle off a list of every feature it has.  Check out a web site that sells them for a full feature list.  Instead, here are a few things I really like about it:

  • It's got an optional chip that you can use to trigger Pocket Wizards.  This makes it really easy to test your lights with the push of a button.  Of course, if you don't have the chip, you can always just hold your Pocket Wizard (or radio trigger of choice) and trigger it to test the light.  Either way works just fine.
  • Multiple ISO settings allow you to easily check settings with different ISOs.  For example, when I shoot with hotlights, I usually use ISO400, but when I shoot with strobes, I use ISO200.  Instead of changing settings, I just push a button and see what the proper settings should be.
  • It's very fast and easy to switch between flash and continuous light metering.  Push a button, turn a selector knob and you're good to go.  
These are all pretty basic features, but that's really all I use.  Also, the point is not that the features are available, but that they're very accessible and easy to use.  I could just as easily discuss how accurate it is or how it has a bunch of obscure features that I'd have to pull out the manual to figure out, but in the end it does it's job quickly and easily which lets me get on with my job.

Speaking of my job, that's really what made me realize that I was ignorant instead of arrogant.  Before my Sekonic came around, I'd still get the correct exposure, but my studio clients would typically have to wait while I took a bunch of test shots and adjusted lights.  Now I have everything set up and metered before they arrive at the studio.  All they have to do is step in, I take a test shot and away we go.  From a client experience standpoint, this one piece of equipment has probably contributed more to a professional experience than anything else in my camera bag, even if the client doesn't even realize it.  

Although I rarely use my light meter when shooting outdoors in natural light, I can't remember the last time I didn't use it in the studio.  While there are much more powerful light meters around that have a lot more features, for my purposes, the price and features of the Sekonic L-358 make it a no-brainer.  If you do a lot of studio work, do yourself a favor and get one for your camera bag.  You'll wonder how you ever shot without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment