Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Resolutions

At the end of last year, I made a few resolutions for myself. This past year has been great for me and the business, but how did I do on my resolutions? Let's take a look...


Take a risk, every single day. I started off pretty strong with this one. I kept a journal of the risks I took. I even made a Pinterest board for inspiration. But eventually, I found myself getting busy with regular life and not tracking my risks. I don't think it became a conscious habit to take a daily risk, but I know that I did end up taking some risks last year that ended up paying off. Nothing backfired and went tragically wrong, so I guess either I wasn't taking big enough risks or taking risks just isn't that risky. 

Shoot more personal work. I definitely shot more personal work in 2012 than I had in any previous years. One huge reason was because I really got into phone photography. Another is because I continued shooting lots of film. I'd definitely consider this resolution a success!

Focus my business and business goals. This past year I definitely ran a more focused business. I changed my website to only showcase weddings and high school seniors. I started saying no to or referring away jobs that just weren't me. And you know what? I had a ton of fun and am still in business. Success!

Network, network, network! This one was huge. I wanted to attend three networking events per month and I'm pretty sure I was very successful with that. Denver has such a great community of photographers and entrepreneurs, it's easy to attend a great event every week if you want to. I said it last year and I'll say it again this year... I just wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for the wonderful people in my network.

So, it looks like I kept my resolutions pretty well last year. What should I resolve to do in 2013? Here's what I'm thinking:

- Continue taking risks.  Even if I'm not taking a risk every single day, it's good for me to work at the edge of my comfort zone. I will keep taking risks and when an opportunity arises that causes my mind to pause and makes my heart beat fast, I want to grab it, hold on for dear life and see where I end up.

- Don't be scared of change.  I need to trust that not everything is going to work out according to the master plan that's in my head. Instead, things will happen as they should. Change will happen. I will welcome and embrace it.

- Keep on networking!  Not only is networking good for my business, it's a great form of personal development for myself. It's time to meet more people who aren't photographers. I also want to meet and work with more local photographers who I admire. Nothing has contributed to my business and personal growth like networking has. I see no reason to slow down now!

Ready? Go!





No comments:

Post a Comment