Monday, July 11, 2011

Randomness - Random Things Photographers Do

Random Things Photographers Do


I'm normally a pretty reserved person, but put someone in front of me and a camera in my hand and I become a different person.  There's something about the need for creation that trumps the need for preserving my dignity.  Need an example?

The other day I was playing with my Polaroid SX-70.  I was trying some new film and wanted to shoot a photo at night.  We were down the by Denver Art Museum and I knew it was going to be a long exposure, so I placed the camera on the ground.  In order to see what I was taking a picture of, I had to lay on the ground as well.  So, down I went.  After composing the photo I pressed the shutter button and waited... and waited... and waited.  I think it was a 15-second exposure.  And I was laying flat on my stomach.  On the ground.  With people walking by.  Normal me would be saying, "Get up!  Everyone thinks you're weird!"  Photographer me says, "They'd better not get in my way.  This is going to be a great photo."  I'm not sure if it was a great photo, but I like it.  See it here.

Other things I've done include standing on just about anything that's convenient just to be a little taller, including chairs, benches, walls, handrails.  I've even climbed a chain-link fence and held on with one hand while holding the camera with my other hand!  Climbing into bushes to get a better shot?  Done it.  Stand in the street and hope I don't get hit by oncoming traffic?  Done that too.  Walk backwards down a rocky dirt hiking trail in the foothills while photographing a couple?  Yup.

Don't even get me started on making noises.  Whether it's getting the attention of a young child, a pet or just a group of people, I'm always amazed at the noises I make.  Hand gestures?  Leg gestures?  Jump around full-body gestures?  While making noises?  Been there, done that.  At least no one ever takes photos of me doing this stuff.

So, what have you done for your profession that you wouldn't normally do in your daily life?

No comments:

Post a Comment