Friday, March 2, 2012

The Polaroid Diaries: Part II - Quick Tips

So, if you read my last post about Polaroids, you might think that it's almost impossible to get good photos. That's definitely not the case! You can get some really good photos with a Polaroid. It just takes a little knowledge of how the cameras work and see light.

While I don't claim to be an expert at Polaroid photography, I have learned a few things that I'll pass along here. While they don't work every single time, your chances of getting better photos should go up if you follow a few of these basic tips:

- If you can, use a flash. Not only will you get the classic Polaroid look, but you don't have to worry about tricking the meter. When I use my 635 CL, the flash goes off every single time. I get more good photos from that camera than any other Polaroid I own.

Without a flash, this self-portrait would have never happened.

- Limit the dynamic range in your photos. Because the metering system in a Polaroid camera isn't very smart, if your subject is in the shade but you have a bright background, the camera is going to meter for the background, your subject is going to be underexposed and there's nothing you can do about it.

Although I was shooting this session with strong backlight on my digital,
I knew I had to shoot Karina in full sun to make this instant image work.

- Recognize when you're going to get a long exposure and plan accordingly. I know that when I use my SX-70 or a packfilm camera, most of the time I'm going to have a long exposure if I'm not in direct sun. Long exposures mean I'm much more likely to have a blurry photo. I make sure to brace myself or use a tripod so I'll hopefully get a sharper photo.

I braced my SX-70 on a table to get this shot.
This handheld image isn't very sharp (but I still like it!).
I hope these help. I know they're pretty general, but they're a start. I'll dive in a little deeper next time with some specific examples. Until then...

3 comments:

  1. Это очень мило - снимать на Полароид! это как будто возвращает нас в прошлое!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, John, for the Polaroid tips. I find it extremely difficult to get good (or even so-so) images, but I love trying!

    Cheers!
    Susan Stayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! It can be really tough sometimes, but when you get a good one it makes it all worth it! :)

      Delete