Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Birthday Week?


I've never been one to make a big deal out of my birthday.

"You want me to be the center of attention?  You want to throw a party just for me?  You want to sing to me while I stand there and listen?"

No thanks.  That's just not how I like to do things.

Nevertheless, that doesn't stop Belinda from trying.  She always wants me to open her gift to me in a restaurant, in front of everyone!  She always wants to sing to me, in front of everyone!  As much as I protest, this happens every year.

This year was an entirely new experience.  Since Belinda seems to always be out of town for work on my birthday, she decided I needed a birthday WEEK!  I can hardly stand one day of attention, let alone an entire week.  Now, some of it just happened to work out.  A concert the night before my birthday?  Good timing.  A beer-themed fundraiser for an organization that we support the night after my birthday?  Luck.  Nothing could have prepared me for the event that kicked off my birthday week, though... a surprise party!

Just the thought of a surprise party makes me nervous.  When I'm a part of one for someone else, I feel so guilty.  "What if they don't want a surprise party?  What if they had plans and really need to be somewhere else?"  And that's just when it's for someone else!  The thought of having one thrown for me is just too much for me to handle.

I guess that's the nice thing about a surprise party that's thrown for you.  You don't know anything about it until it's happening, so you don't have time to worry about it.  I must say, though, that when my birthday week kicked off on Saturday night with a bunch of people yelling "Surprise!", I had no idea that I'd have so much fun or that over the course of the next week I'd learn what amazing friends I truly have.

So, did I enjoy Birthday Week?  I enjoyed it more than I would have ever thought possible.  Do I want to do it again next year?  Let's just say one day per year is enough for me...



No comments:

Post a Comment