Monday, October 31, 2011

Fershop:Denver

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending Fer Juaristi's workshop (or Ferhsop) that was held here in Denver.  I knew that it was going to challenge me.  Our styles of photography are very different.  Honestly, though, I had no idea what was about to happen.

I was introduced to Fer's work earlier this year.  I was instantly drawn to his style of photography.  The way he uses light is simply amazing.  I found myself staring at his photos wondering how he got that shot.  Needless to say, I couldn't wait to see him in action and see what kind of tricks he used.

It turns out there really aren't any tricks.  It's just a different way of seeing things.  Don't get me wrong... he's super talented and insanely creative, but he showed us everything, from finding a location without even knowing where he was going to his complete editing process, and I can assure you that there was nothing crazy or secret going on.

At a workshop, you learn a lot of information.  The best way to process that information and actually learn something is to try it yourself.  So, here are the images that I walked away from the Ferhsop with.  To further challenge myself, I tried to edit the photos a little closer to how Fer might edit them than how I typically would.  If they look different from my typical work, they are.  And I kind of like them...

Wedding Dress provided by Marie Margot Bridal Couture
Hair and Makeup by K Schell Designs





















I can't finish without talking about Fer a little.  To say Fer is a nice guy would be the understatement of the year.  Not only did he completely open himself up to the class and share everything that he could, but he was also just genuinely a nice person.  When you meet him you get a big hug, like you're long-lost friends.  When you're in one of his classes, you find yourself spending as much time laughing as you do learning.  When your class is over, you don't want to go home... you want to grab a beer with the guy!

Thank you, Fer, for being such a real person.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I am in LOVE with that first b&w photo John! That is killer! Awesome work! I also love the other b&w about 6 pictures down-lovely! And fierce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sara! It was so much fun getting outside of my comfort zone. Glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete