Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fashion Denver Shoot


A few months ago I wrote a post about a shoot I did in Colorado Springs with Gary from Imagery Light. I told him that I'd return the favor and we'd so a shoot in my studio here in Denver. Well, after about a month of hard work, we finally got to do that shoot. What was involved? We had 11 models, 1 hair stylist - Tanya, 1 makeup artist (MUA) - Jacki, 1 wardrobe assistant and clothing for everyone provided by a local shop. Add a few photographers to that mix and you've got a full studio and a long day of shooting!

First, let's start with the setup for this shoot. Once we picked a date, I knew it would take a bit of time to get everything lined up, so I started a month early. I made sure I had a hair stylist and MUA lined up. Once that was done, I thought it would be fun to try to utilize a recent connection I had made and get some wardrobe for the shoot. That worked as well, so now that I had all of the details lined up for the shoot, I posted a casting call. I didn't want more than about 10 models, but I also figured that a few might drop out over the course of the month or just not show up on the day of the shoot, so I was hoping for 12 confirmed models. The response was huge and I had to pick from about 35 models who were interested! Once I had it narrowed down, I started confirming and eventually had 12.

Fast forward a few weeks, a few phone calls and many emails to the day of the shoot. Gary and I arrive at the studio around noon to start setting things up. Tanya and Jacki arrive shortly after so that they're ready when the models arrive. The first models arrive around 12:30 and go right into hair and makeup. The plan was to start shooting around 1pm, but we started falling behind right from the start, so we didn't start shooting until almost 1:30. No big deal, except for the fact that we have a steady stream of models coming in all day long and they end up waiting longer than I would have liked. By the end of the day, everyone has shot and everyone seems happy. Gary and I tear everything down and are out of the studio by about 7pm. We head off to get some Thai food and discuss the shoot.

Now how about a few details? Tanya Owens did the hair for the shoot and she did a fabulous job! She decided to go a little more high-fashion and came up with a variety of styles that both fit the models and the outfits. Jacki (aka Belle Amore) did the makeup for the shoot and also did a wonderful job of matching the makeup to the outfits. The colors and styles she used keep getting rave reviews from everyone who sees them. The star of the show was the wardrobe, which was provided by Fashion Denver. Brandi Shigley is the owner of Fashion Denver and she held a special fitting before the shoot so that each model could choose an outfit that they wanted to wear, along with a bunch of accessories to go with it. Without her support, this shoot would have turned out much different than it did.

When all was said and done, we had 11 models show up and Tanya got in on the action as well, so the schedule was very tight. Everyone got to change into an outfit that they brought with them as well, so we essentially shot 24 different looks during the day across three different lighting setups. It was a lot of hard work and a very long day (and many days of editing photos during the next week), but it was tons of fun and totally worth it. Now... I think it's time to start planning the next big shoot!

You can see more photos from the shoot here.

No comments:

Post a Comment