Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tech Tuesday - Nikon Wireless Remote ML-L3


It's probably one of the cheapest camera-specific items in my camera bag. It's tiny, has one button and only costs around $15. This is an item I use very frequently and I'm not sure what I'd do without it. Nikon's ML-L3 wireless remote is, to use a popular phrase, worth it's weight in gold.

The ML-L3 weighs about half an ounce and is hardly bigger than an SD card. If you slip it into your pocket, you won't even notice it's there. It doesn't take up any space in your bag, but make sure you put it somewhere where you can find it!

The ML-L3 isn't fancy. It's got one button that, when pressed, triggers the shutter. That's it. It's an IR remote, just like the remote control for your television, so it requires line of sight to operate. With that being said, I've used mine from many different angles, including in front of and behind the camera and at a distance of up to 15 feet. It will work on the D40, D40x, D60, D80 and D90. For models above the D90, you'll need the MC-36, which is a wired remote that offers far more options.

So what do I use the ML-L3 for? Just about anytime my camera is on a tripod, the ML-L3 is in my hand. I use it for macro work. I use it in conjunction with Live View when the camera is in an awkward position. I use it for self portraits. The image below would have been much more difficult without a remote. If I had to time every face with a timed shutter release, not to mention running back to the camera after every shot, it would have taken much longer to shoot, but with the remote, I could just press the button a few times, make a few faces and just stop once in a while to check exposure or change colored gels.



There's not really much more to say about this. It's a wireless remote. You push the button and it takes a picture. It's super small, super lightweight and super inexpensive. If you've got a camera that it will work with, there's no excuse for not having one of these in your bag or pocket at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment